Looking to get Started with Icelandic Sheep?
Are you interested in building a flock of Icelandic Sheep, but not sure of where to start and how to go about it? Perhaps we can give you the benefit of our experience and the experience of others who already have flocks .
There are a number of things that it's wise to consider as you begin:
1. What is it that you want? Decide up front to avoid problems around the back!
2. Where should you go to get your sheep? Look at least three places, talk to as many folks as you can, and find a mentor you can trust
3. How many should you start with? Start small, learn fast, and grow with your flock.
4. What’s the best way to maintain and grow your flock? Manage around the resources you have.Management Intensive Grazing can be done with a minimum of acreage and money!
5. What are your goals, both short and long term, for your sheep…and yourself. Be realistic and plan carefully, writing it all down as you go.
6. How can you best grow your operation profitably and without winding up with a million sheep and no market? Plan, plan, plan first.Stick to your plan second.
7. What are you prepared to do in this venture? This is not only about the sheep—it’s about your own commitment of time, energy, and money.
8. Where will you be in ten years? This will depend on how well you’ve covered the above steps!
Let’s take these points one at a time: Click here